Published On: Fri, Oct 19th, 2012

Montserrat to pick up additional airlift for festival season, says premier

BRADES, Montserrat (GIU) - An executive of SVG Air met with officials from Montserrat’s Ministry of Communications and Works and Premier Reuben Meade on Thursday to work through arrangements to cover the island’s air transport needs for the present and coming festival season.

Meade confirmed late Thursday that meetings were held with Paul Gravel, CEO of SVG Air to agree to terms for meeting the island’s airlift needs to cover the gap left by the grounding of FlyMontserrat earlier this week.

Gravel has committed to adding a midday flight as well as transport the passengers already booked on FlyMontserrat for the coming weeks. SVG will be handling medivac services on an on-call basis from their base in Antigua, Gravel said.

The premier said he was pleased with this arrangement and that the subsidy which was not utilised by FlyMontserrat will be made available to SVG Air to allow for ticket prices to remain the same during the expected high traffic festival season in December.

SVG Air plans to source another aircraft to support their service to Montserrat to facilitate the increased traffic.

By Nerissa Golden
Caribbean News Now 

Click Tag(s) for Related Articles: