Skytrax survey names the best airports in the world
COLOGNE, Germany – Singapore’s Changi Airport has been named the best airport in the world for the fourth consecutive year in Skytrax’s World Airport Awards.
Changi, which bagged the top spot for the seventh time, also won for best airport for leisure amenities and was hard to beat with a rooftop swimming pool and spa, free 24-hour cinema, and even butterfly and cactus gardens.
The multiple award-winner also boasts attractions from the tallest slide in an airport to high-end shops and hawker food, making many travellers sorry to leave.
The best is apparently yet to come, moreover, with Changi in the process of building a massive 10-storey glass and steel terminal that will house the world’s tallest indoor waterfall and a huge park when it opens in 2018.
South Korea’s Incheon International Airport, Germany’s Munich Airport, Japan’s Tokyo International, and Hong Kong International rounded out the top five.
Two other Japanese airports featured in the top 10 with Chubu Centrair Nagoya claiming sixth place and Kansai International placing ninth.
Rounding off the top 10 were Switzerland’s Zurich Airport in seventh place and Britain’s London Heathrow and Doha’s Hamad International copping the eighth and 10th spots.
Heathrow also won individual awards for best airport shopping for the seventh consecutive year and world’s best airport terminal for Terminal 5, the fifth year in a row it has bagged this prize.
Heathrow fared better than its other London counterparts, with London City Airport in 41st place and Gatwick in 45th among the world’s top 50.
Canada’s Vancouver International was the highest ranked airport in North America, placing 14th overall, while Denver was America’s best at 28th overall.
Denver also took the gong for best regional airport in North America, while Germany’s Cologne Bonn won for best regional airport in Europe. Brisbane was the best airport in the Australia/Pacific region,
The annual Skytrax awards are based on the world’s largest airport customer satisfaction survey, with more than 13 million nominations from passengers.
It said the survey and awards process is independent and free of any airport influence in the final results.
Skytrax announced its top 100 and individual award winners at the Passenger Terminal EXPO in Cologne, Germany.
SKYTRAX’S BEST AIRPORTS IN THE WORLD (11-50)
11. Narita International Airport (Tokyo)
12. Frankfurt Airport
13. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
14. Vancouver International Airport
15. Helsinki Airport
16. Beijing Capital International Airport
17. Brisbane Airport
18. Copenhagen Airport
19. Cologne Bonn Airport
20. Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport
21. Auckland Airport
22. Cape Town International Airport
23. Sydney Airport
24. Kuala Lumpur International Airport
25. Melbourne Airport
26. Dubai International Airport
27. Barcelona-El Prat Airport
28. Denver International Airport
29. Vienna International Airport
30. OR Tambo International (Johannesburg)
31. Adolfo Suarez Madrid–Barajas Airport
32. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport
33. Charles de Gaulle Airport (Paris)
34. Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
35. King Shaka Airport (Durban)
36. Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bangkok)
37. San Francisco International Airport
38. Abu Dhabi International Airport
39. Dusseldorf Airport
40. Hamburg Airport
41. London City Airport
42. Gimpo International Airport (Seoul)
43. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Int’l Airport
44. Toronto Pearson International Airport
45. London Gatwick Airport
46. El Dorado International Airport (Bogota)
47. Bahrain International Airport
48. Xi’an International Airport (China)
49. Jorge Chavez Airport (Lima)
50. Chengdu Shuangliu Airport (China)