Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard contracts Damen for fleet of coastal patrol craft
Following a 4-year acquisition programme, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago has agreed to purchase twelve vessels for the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force from Damen Shipyards.
The Signing Ceremony, which took place at the Ministry of National Security, Temple Court 1 Building, was attended by Permanent Secretary Carl A. Francis on behalf of the Ministry of National Security and Damen Sales Director Americas Sander van Oord.
Trinidad and Tobago has ordered a complete package of vessels with the aim of enhancing the country’s maritime security and of establishing the foundations of a Maritime Security Wall; thereby creating and sustaining an effective presence in all tiers of Trinidad and Tobago’s maritime domain.
The order includes:
Four Damen Stan Patrol 5009 Coastal Patrol Vessels:
- 51 metres long, 9 metres wide
- Speeds in excess of 28 knots
- Range exceeds 2500 nautical miles
- Equipped with an advanced surveillance system
- Deploys an on-board 11 metres interceptor plus a short-range 7.5 metres Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB)
- Uses a unique Sea-Axe design to dramatically enhance seakeeping in rough waters
- These vessels will patrol coastal waters and are also capable of operating in Trinidad and Tobago’s Exclusive Economic Zone
Two Damen Fast Crew Supply 5009 Utility Vessels:
- 54 metres long, 10 metres wide
- Speeds in excess of 20 knots
- Range exceeds 3000 nautical miles
- These vessels can be used for a variety of roles: support of interceptor operations, disaster relief, search and rescue, as well as limited coastal patrol
Six Damen Interceptor DI 1102 Interceptors:
- 11 metres long, 2 metres wide
- Speeds in excess of 53 knots
- Interceptors are capable of being embarked on and deployed from the SPas and FCS acting as a force multiplier
Since 1927, Damen has built a significant number of high quality vessels for civil and military purposes. Such vessels are in service with the Coast Guards of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados and the Netherlands among others.
Mr Van Oord, said: “Damen is a company that prides itself on the quality and performance of the ships we build. We are delighted to welcome the Government of Trinidad & Tobago to our family and will strive to deliver this package on time and within budget. These are the hallmarks of Damen that have helped us become market leader in the Caribbean.”