Published On: Tue, Jul 17th, 2018

Vaccination rate too low on Curaçao

Suzy-Romer-CameliaWILLEMSTAD - Curaçao must be better vaccinated. This is according to the desire of the Minister of Health, Environment and Nature Suzanne Camelia-Römer. The average percentage of vaccinated people is between 80 and 90 percent.

That should go to 95 percent to be sure that diseases cannot break out. Her ministry has started an information campaign. On Friday, those who are interested can visit the shopping center of Brievengat for information and free vaccination of themselves or their children.

Camelia-Römer emphasizes that all children are entitled to vaccination. "Whether or not they have documents. This also applies to children who come from, for example, Venezuela and do not have papers." The percentage of 95 percent did not happen by chance, according to the minister. "This percentage provides what is termed" herd protection "or" collective protection "in medical terms. When 95 percent of people are protected, the other 5 percent also benefit from this immunity."

Click Tag(s) for Related Articles: